Things to see or do
- Directions: Situated 24km north west of Letterkenny. Kilmacrennan / Termon to Dunlewey road or Churchill to Dunlewey Road.
- Guided Tours: Access to the castle is by guided tour only, ( videos / cameras not permitted on tour). Maximum number for the 45-minute guided tour is twenty. “Glenveagh” a 35-minute audio-visual presentation, seats 90. Languages: English, Irish, French, German and Italian.
- Opening Times: All year round, daily 10:00 to 18:00. Last admission at 17.00. Average length of visit, three to four hours.
- Restaurant: Tearoom (castle) open all year round. Reduced opening hours in winter. Seating capacity - 50. Restaurant (visitor centre) Open Easter to end September. Seating capacity - 90.
- Facilities: Exhibitions, toilets, toilet for visitors with disabilities, car/coach park, self - guiding trails, gardens and shuttle bus service to the castle (€2.00 return).
- Forest Walks: Most of the park is mountainous and is suitable for properly prepared hikers only. If you intend walking on the hills, please leave details of your planned route and expected time of return at the visitor centre. Guided walks, guided nature walks are held weekly in July and August and there is a six hour guided hill walk every month from May to October. There are two guided tours of the gardens each week in July and August.
- Admission Prices: Castle: adult €5.00. Group and senior citizen €3.00. Child / student €2.00. Family rate €10.00. Bus prices €3.00 ( adult return ) Concession €2.00. Single adult €2.00. Single concession €1.50. Group rate ( for a group of twenty or more ) for shuttle bus and a guided castle tour is now €5.00. Admission to the park and visitor centre is free.
Glenveagh National Park and CastleLetterkenny Donegal - Ireland West
Set in some 16,500 hectares of County Donegal mountains, lakes, glens and woods, with a large herd of red deer, Glenveagh Castle is a 19th century, castellated mansion built between 1867 and 1873. Surrounded by the famous Glenveagh Gardens, its construction in a remote mountain setting was inspired by the Victorian idyll of a romantic highland retreat. John Townsend Trench, a cousin of its builder and first owner, John George Adair, designed it. Access to the castle is by guided tour only.
ContactTelephone+353 (0)74 913 7090
Fax:+353 (0)74 913 7072
Address: Glenveagh, Churchhill, Letterkenny, Co Donegal, Republic of Ireland