Things to see or do
- Directions from Town: The Wildlife Centre is located at Castle Ward.
- Opening times: Wildlife Centre 17, 18 & 19 Mar: 1-6pm 1 Apr-28 May: 1-6pm w/ends and BH/PH (incl. 6-15 Apr daily) 1 Jun-31 Aug: 1-6pm daily 1 Sep-30 Sep: 1-6pm w/ends
- Mobile narrative: Strangford Lough is a special and wonderful place. The largest sea lough in the British Isles.
Strangford Lough and Wildlife CentreDownpatrick Down - Northern Ireland
Strangford Lough is a special and wonderful place. The largest sea lough in the British Isles, it is almost landlocked apart from its connection to the Irish Sea through the Strangford Narrows. The Trust's Wildlife Scheme manages and provides access to 15,000 acres, which includes foreshore, fifty islands, woodland, wetlands, saltmarsh and agricultural fields.
• Strangford Lough Wildlife Information Centre
• Rich diversity of marine and plant life
• Birds of international importance such as Brent Geese, Knot, Bar-tailed Godwit and Terns
• Bird-watching at conveniently located car parks
• Viewing platform at Gasworks (near Mount Stewart)
• Loughside walk at Castle Ward, low-tide walks to South Island, Horse Island and Ballyhenry Island
• Stunning views of the Lough can be seen from Ballyquintin Farm (South of Portaferry), Killard Point, (South of Strangford), Temple of the Winds at Mount Stewart, The Temple at Castle Ward, Scrabo Hill and Killynether Country Park, Newtownards
Coast nearby, Nature Reserve, Country walks, Access for visitors with disabilities, Suitable for picnics, Dogs welcome on leads.
ContactTelephone+44 (0)28 4488 1411
Address: Strangford Lough, The Barn Castleward Estate Strangford, Downpatrick, Co Down, BT30 7LS