Things to see or do
- Directions from Town: Bus: Ulsterbus No. 10 between Belfast and Portaferry, bus stops at garden gates. Car: On A20, 5 miles from Newtownards on the Portaferry Road. Drive time: 25 minutes from Belfast.
- Opening times: Lakeside Garden and Walks: Open all year. 10.00am – 4.00pm daily until 9th March and from 5th November- 31st December 10.00am-6pm from 10th March- 4th November House, Formal Gardens and Temple of the Winds change seasonally, please contact premises directly. Open Bank Holiday Mondays and all other public holidays in Northern Ireland including 17 March. House: admission by guided tour (timed tickets only) and free-flow on Bank and public holidays. Last admission to house and gardens one hour before closing. Lakeside gardens closed 25 and 26 December. Telephone for shop and restaurant opening times.
- Prices: Gift Aid Whole Property Adult- £7.00 Child- £3.50 Family- £17.50 Standard Prices Whole Property Adult- £6.36 Child- £3.18 Family- £15.90 Group- £6.00
- ROI offer: 2 for 1 admission on normal admission days - excluding our events and any other offers. Please print this page and present at ticket office.
- Mobile narrative: The famous gardens at Mount Stewart were planted in the 1920s by Edith, Lady Londonderry.
Mount Stewart House and GardensNewtownards Down - Northern Ireland
The famous gardens at Mount Stewart were planted in the 1920s by Edith, Lady Londonderry and are of international importance. The magnificent series of outdoor 'rooms' and vibrant parterres contain many rare plants that thrive in the mild climate of the Ards Peninsula.
The house tour includes paintings and stories about the prominent political figures to whom the Londonderry family played host.
• Former home to a fascinating array of political leaders and society figures
• World famous painting of ‘Hambletonian’ by George Stubbs
• Remarkable embroidered chairs used at the Congress of Vienna in 1815
• Famous gardens of international importance
• European Garden of Inspiration 2003
• Formal gardens of clipped topiary, statuary and magnificent colour schemes
• Picturesque lake surrounded by beautiful swathes of woodland
• Dramatic views across Strangford Lough from the Temple of the Winds
• New garden shop
Visitor facilities –
Historic house: Garden: Shop: Refreshments: Guided tours: Suitable for picnics: Country walk: Programme of events: Access for visitors with disability: Facilities for families: Learning: Dogs welcome on leads in grounds/garden only: Available for function.
ContactTelephone+44 (0)28 4278 8387
Address: Mount Stewart House & Gardens, Portaferry Road, Newtownards, Down, BT22 2AD