Things to see or do
- Prices: Admission in free.
- Directions from Town: Boneybefore - Located less than a mile north from the town centre; off the Larne Road - Donaldson's Avenue
- Opening times: Open by appointment only - contact Carrickfergus Tourist Information Centre for bookings and availability.
- Mobile narrative: Located less than a mile from the Town Centre, off the Larne Road, the Andrew Jackson Cottage is ...
Andrew Jackson Cottage and US Rangers CentreCarrickfergus Antrim - Northern Ireland
Located less than a mile from the Town Centre, off the Larne Road, the Andrew Jackson Cottage is a traditional thatched Ulster –Scots farmhouse built in 1750’s.
This cottage is one of about twelve cottages built in this style when there was an influx of lowland Scots people into S.E. Antrim. This cottage was built by the Donaldson family and lived in by them until 1979 when it was sold to Carrickfergus Borough Council.
It has been restored to its original state including an open fireplace with a daub and wattle canopy and hanging crane. The original Jackson cottage was demolished in 1860 to make way for the railway. The interior has been decorated as a traditional cottage with a dresser, sponge wear crockery and iron pots and griddles. The centre has an impressive exhibition on the life and career of Andrew Jackson (1767- 1845) 7th President of the United States of America whose parents emigrated from here in 1765.
In the grounds of the cottage is the US Rangers Centre, a museum dedicated to the men of the First Battalions of the elite American Army Unit the US Rangers that was first “activated” in Carrickfergus in 1942. The display includes documents, uniform and photographs and other material detailing this famous combat unit.
Look for the Blue Plaque about 50 metres to the west that marks the site of the original Jackson homestead.
ContactTelephone+44 (0)28 9335 8049
Fax:+44 (0)28 9335 0350
Address: Andrew Jackson Centre, 2 Boneybefore, Carrickfergus, BT38 7EQ