Things to see or do
- Mobile narrative: Located opposite St.
Walker's Memorial PlinthDerry City Londonderry - Northern Ireland
Located opposite St. Augustine’s Church the Royal Bastion is the site of the former Walker’s Pillar, a memorial to Rev. George Walker joint Governor of Derry during the Siege of 1689. The pillar was 90 feet in height surmounted by the statue of Rev. George Walker “of heroic size”(20 feet), with one hand outstretched towards the site of the river barrier/boom.
Internally a spiral staircase of 105 steps (The Siege lasted 105 days – the longest in British History) allowed access to the viewing platform on top. The pillar and statue were destroyed by a bomb explosion in August 1973. Only the pedestal remains to this day.
Address: Walker's Memorial Plinth