Things to see or do
- Directions: The town of Roscommon (in County Roscommon) is situated on the junction of the N61 and N63. From Roscommon take the N61 in the direction of Athlone. After 14km, at the village of Lecarrow, take the left turn at Coffeys Bar and follow this minor road for approx. 3kms. Watch for the trailhead on your left on a sharp right bend – at the entrance gate to St Johns House B&B.
- Distance: 4.5km/1hr30mins - 2hrs
- Terrain: Woodland tracks, green paths
- Ascent: 40m/10m
- Grade: Easy - to suit all levels of fitness
- Trailhead: St Johns House, Lecarrow. Co. Roscommon
- Minimum Gear: Hiking boots, raingear, fluid and mobile phone
- Services: Lecarrow (3km), Athlone (16km)
Warren Point LoopLecarrow Roscommon - Ireland West
A-B. Starting from the car park, follow the blue (and green) arrow through the gate to St John’s House B&B. The green arrow is for the shorter Rinn Duin Castle Loop. Continue along the sand roadway for 200m to reach a Y-junction at St John’s House. You will be returning to this point from the left on the return section. For now - veer right and follow the sand roadway for 500m to reach the old Town Wall. B-C. Pass through the gateway and follow the grassy roadway to reach another gateway at a stone wall. Turn right at the gate and follow the wall for 40m to reach a stile on your left - cross it and follow the blue (and green) arrows along a boundary stone wall on the shoreline of Carrownure Bay. After 300m you reach the ruins of Rinn Duin Church on your left. The green loop turns left here - but you continue straight ahead following the blue arrows. C-D. Follow the blue arrows as the loop heads into Rinn Duin Wood. Over the next 1km you follow woodland tracks around Warren Point - towards the end of the section watch for the ruins of an old windmill on your left. D-E. From the windmill the loop goes through a gateway, passes to the left of Rinn Duin Castle, and rejoins the green loop at a stone wall where you turn right. After 200m you reach Safe Harbour where the loop turns left and follows the outside of stone boundary walls along the shoreline of St John’s Bay. The loop crosses a number of stiles over the next 1km before turning left off the shoreline. E-A. Follow a boundary fence (on your left) to reach a metal gate - pass through it and cross the field to another metal gate. Pass through this and follow the stone wall of the Walled Garden to reach the sand roadway at St Johns House. Turn right and enjoy the last 100m back to the trailhead.
ContactTelephone+353 (0)90 666 1748
Address: Roscommon Integrated Development Company, Curraghboy, Athlone, Co Roscommon, Republic of Ireland