Things to see or do
- Directions: Located in Valentia Harbour close to Knightstown on the eastern side of Valentia Island.
- Access: For details of ferry service contact: Cahersiveen Tourist Information Office. Tel: +353(0)66 9472589
- Highlights: Watch tower; ruined monastery; circular stone huts; magnificent beaches.
- Population: Uninhabited
- Size: 159 acres
- Activities: Archaeology; walking; swimming.
- When to visit: Best time is May to September.
Beginish IslandKerry - Ireland South
Beginish Island is a treasure trove of archaeological remains. Lying in Valentia Harbour, County Kerry Begninish Island has a ruined watch tower at its peak and some important archaeological remains. A ruined monastery can be found on the eastern part of the island and circular stone huts and buildings on the island are remnants of a once vibrant maritime and religious community dating back to the Middle Ages. On the southwest-facing beach on the eastern end of Beginish is a group of eight houses, 15 cairns, and eight animal shelters, occupied between the 10th and 12th centuries, houses which appear to manifest evidence of early Norse/Viking occupation of Ireland. Beginish is protected from the Atlantic by Valentia Island and its magnificent sheltered beaches create ideal picnic and walking spots. Nature and archaeology enthusiasts will savour Beginish's maritime splendour, marine wildlife and legacy of historical artefacts.
ContactTelephone+353 (0)64 663 1633
Address: Fáilte Ireland South West Region, Aras Fáilte, Grand Parade, Cork, Co Cork, Republic Of Ireland