Things to see or do
- Directions: 3km east of Portarlington off the road to Monasterevin and beside the River Barrow.
Lea CastlePortarlington Laois - Ireland East
The remnants of a great Norman castle built in 1260 by William de Vesey. It changed hands many times during its violent history, for example, it was burned by the O'Dempseys in 1284, rebuilt by de Vesey and given to the king, burned along with its town by the Scots army in 1315, burned by the O'Mores in 1346, captured by to O'Dempsey in 1422 and then lost to the Earl of Ormond in 1452, used by Silken Thomas Fitzgerald as a refuge in 1535, mortgaged to Sir Maurice Fitzgerald in 1556, and leased to RobertBath in 1618. It was used by the confederates as a mint in the 1640s rebellion until Cromwellians blew up the fortifications by stuffing the stairways with explosives. The castle was never afterwards used as a fortification. Remains include part of the keep, a fairly complete corner tower, a walled court yard, wards, and a double-towered gate building.
ContactTelephone+353 (0)57 862 1178
Address: Portarlington, Co Laois, Republic Of Ireland