Things to see or do
- Directions: From Galway on the N59 Clifden road, just past Recess turn right onto the R344 and follow signs for the abbey. From Clifden, take the Westport road. Kylemore is on the left after passing through Letterfrack village.
- Opening Times: All year round. 7 days a week. Summer: mid-March to November, 09.30 – 17.30. (July & August 9.00 – 19.00). Winter: November to mid-March, 10.00 – 16.30.
- Facilities: Audio-visual presentation. Craft shop. Mitchell's Café and tea house. Guided tours. Car park.
- Disabled access: Restaurant and craft shop are accesible.
- Admission Prices: Adults €12, seniors €9, students €8.50 and children under 10 accompanied are free.
Kylemore Abbey and GardensKylemore Galway - Ireland West
Kylemore Abbey is the ideal destination for a day out in majestic Connemara. Located about an hour’s drive from Galway City, a visit to Kylemore will rank as an unforgettable memory. The dramatic landscape and iconic image of a gothic castle reflected in a Connemara lake has made Kylemore Abbey world-famous and it is now the largest tourist attraction in the west of Ireland. The Benedictine nuns invite visitors to experience the Victorian atmosphere of the Abbey's restored rooms, miniature gothic church, head gardener’s house and garden boy’s house. Learn of the tales of tragedy and romance, the engineering initiatives, model farms, royal visits and the Abbey's former role as a girls boarding school. Explore the many nature trails,woodland walks and the magical award-winning walled garden where in keeping with its Victorian heritage, only flower and vegetable varieties from that era are grown. Mitchell’s café and the tea house offers home-cooked food made from recipes perfected by the Benedictine nuns and using fresh vegetables and herbs from the walled garden. The craft shop has a wide selection of design-focused Irish giftware including artisan food products, knitwear, pottery, art and handcrafts made by the Benedictine nuns at Kylemore. Choirs travel from around the world to Kylemore Abbey to sing in the Gothic church with its superb acoustics. All are welcome to attend the choral performances and admittance is included in the Kylemore entry fee. Check the Abbey's website for upcoming choral performances.
ContactTelephone+353 (0)95 52 001
Fax:+353 (0)95 41 440
Address: Kylemore, Connemara, Co Galway, Republic of Ireland