Donegal to Belfast
Distance – 361km
Recommended duration – 2 days
- By car
|1||Donegal to Londonderry||167km|
|2||Londonderry to Belfast||194km|
Day One – Donegal to Londonderry
- Drive north through the Donegal villages of Dunkineely, Ardara and Glenties, famed for their cottage industries and the production of Donegal tweed.
- Continue along the coast to Dunfanaghy, nestling on the cosy inlet of Sheephaven Bay.
- Head south to Donegal's chief town Letterkenny. From here you can extend your drive by taking a tour of the scenic Inishowen Peninsula. Travel through Buncrana, Malin Head – the most northerly point on mainland Ireland – to Moville.
- Continue on to Londonderry and walk around its ancient encircling walls, still intact and perfect, before visiting the award-winning Tower Museum.
Day Two – Londonderry to Belfast
- Head east to Limavady, then north to visit the Mussenden Temple, Downhill.
- Drive via Coleraine to Portstewart and Portrush, and on to Dunluce Castle.
- Head to the spectacular Giant's Causeway, fit in a visit to Bushmills Distillery or test your nerve on the Carrick-a-Rede swinging rope bridge.
- After Ballycastle, where ferries leave for Rathlin Island, cross the wild plateau to Cushendun, and south along the wild Antrim coast through Cushendall to Carnlough. Before long, you're on the broad smooth highway that runs past Cave Hill into Belfast.