Full Circle: William Scott Centenary Exhibition
15 February 2013 - 31 August 2013
This exhibition celebrates 100 years since the birth of Fermanagh’s most famous artist, William Scott, on 15 February 1913.
William Scott spent his formative years in Enniskillen. Here he received his first art lessons and the encouragement to become an internationally renowned artist. The exhibition highlights Fermanagh County Museum’s important collection of William Scott’s art.
The exhibition tells the remarkable story of Scott’s development as an artist, from his first art lessons in Enniskillen with Kathleen Bridle (1897-1989), to becoming, in the words of Lord Belmore, ‘the most significant Irish artist of his generation’.
Fermanagh County Museum owns an important collection of eleven works by William Scott, spanning the 1930s until the 1970s and including oil paintings, prints, a rare textile work and a drawing. All the examples are on display with the exception of the painting, ‘Still Life with Garlic’ which is currently on loan to Tate St Ives.
A starting point of ‘Full-Circle’ is a poignant portrait of William Scott as a young boy of around 13 years old in his school uniform, painted by his teacher Kathleen Bridle and on loan to Fermanagh County Museum from William Scott’s sons, Robert and James.
Appropriately, given the artist’s early inspiration in Enniskillen, the exhibition displays the Museum’s collection of paintings by Scott alongside creative responses by young artists of the future from local primary and secondary schools.
Normal admission rates apply.