Things to see or do
- Directions: The trailhead is located at a car park at Lenankeel Beach approximately 3km from Clonmany village in North Donegal. From the Y-junction on the outskirts if Clonmany Village veer right onto the L1551 in the direction of Dunaff. After 2km you reach a Y-junction where you veer left - following the signpost to Mamore Gap. After another 2km continue straight on at another signpost for Mamore Gap – and 2km later pass through the townland of Dunaff. Stay on the ‘main’ road for another kilometre to pass a Primary School on your left and reach a Y-junction. Veer right here – following the sign for Lenan Head. Approximately 1.5km of straight road takes you to a Y-junction where you turn left. Another 1km takes to the car park at Lenankeel – the trailhead is in the car park.
- Distance: 3km
- Terrain: Bog roads, hillside tracks
- Estimated Time: 1hr – 1hr15mins
- Ascent: 100m/110m
- Grade: Easy - Average levels of fitness
- Trailhead: Lenankeel, Clonmany, Co Donegal
- Minimum Gear: Hiking boots, raingear, fluid and mobile phone
- Services: Clonmany (8km)
Lenan LoopInishowen Donegal - Ireland West
A-B. Leaving the trailhead at the beach at Lenankeel follow the green (and purple) arrows as the loop turns right crosses a concrete bridge and follows a surfaced roadway for 150m. The purple arrows are for a longer and more challenging Urris Lakes Loop. After 150m the road turns sharp left at a farmhouse – the loops turn right here and join a stony roadway. Pass through a gate and continue to follow this bog road as it starts to ascend. After only 300m you reach a Y-junction. This is the point to which you will return later – for now veer left and uphill. B-C. Continue to follow the green and purple arrows as both loops ascend for nearly 1km to reach some old sheds. Here both loops turn right onto a bog road which takes you downhill to reach (after 500m) a junction near a stream crossing. The longer Urris Lakes Loop turns left here – but you turn right. C-B-A. Now follow this bog road which runs parallel to the coastline with fine views over Lenan Bay. After nearly 1km you regain the junction at B above – this time continue straight ahead. Descend to reach the surfaced road at the farmhouse again – turn left and enjoy the 150m back to the trailhead!
Address: Donegal Town Discover Ireland Centre, The Quay, Donegal town, Co Donegal