Things to see or do
St Aidan's CathedralEnniscorthy Wexford - Ireland South
A monumental cathedral, the largest building in Ireland to designs prepared by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin (1812-52) reputedly based on Tintern Abbey in Wales. Due to fears of potential collapse, the tower and spire were rebuilt under the supervision of J.J. McCarthy (1817-82) but retain the Pugin-defined profile. Constructed in dressed local stone (including stone from the nearby ruined Franciscan Friary salvaged in 1843-7) with carved granite accents, it is quite an austere exterior. The interior contains stained glass panels by Lobin of Tours, Mayer of Munich, and Earley of Dublin, a pipe organ supplied by White and Son, Dublin, an altar signed by James Pearse (1839-1900) and Edmund Sharpe (1853-1930) of Dublin. St, Aidan's Cathedral has been dramatically refurbished in recent years to the original plans of distinguished architect, Augustus Welby Pugin. Enniscorthy's Cathedral is named after patron saint of the Diocese of Ferns and is the religious centre for all major Roman Catholic ecclesiastical ceremonis.
ContactTelephone+353 (0)53 923 5777
Address: Cathedral Street, Enniscorthy, Co Wexford