Things to see or do
- Directions: The town of Foxford, Co Mayo is situated on the N26 between the towns of Ballina and Swinford. From Foxford take the N26 in the direction of Swinford. After 3km take a left turn at a junction signposted Attymas and Bonniconlon. Follow this road for 1.5km to reach a crossroads where you turn right and after only 500m turn right at a 3-way junction at Coolegraine Shrine and Graveyard. Stay on this roadway for 3km where the road sweeps left at a 3-way juntion. Continue along the road for 1.5km to reach Attymachugh Church (which looks like an old Primary School) on your left. Note that the trailhead for the Prebaun Loop is located here. Continue to follow the narrow road past the church and onwards for 1km to the townland of Corlee where the road sweeps left – follow the stone road sign here toward Glanduff. Approximately 1km later you reach a T-junction where a stone road sign directs you left toward Glenaduff and Attymass. Turn left and travel for 1.5km to reach a viewing point on the brow of a hill – the trailhead is located here. [Note: The trailhead is signposted from the N26]
- Grid Ref: OS Sheet 32, G305 093
- Distance: 14km / 4hrs – 5hrs
- Terrain: Minor roads, old bog roads, laneways, mountain tracks.
- Ascent: 260m/280m
- Grade: Moderate
- Trailhead: Car Parking Area, Glanduff, Foxford, Co Mayo
- Minimum Gear: Hiking boots, raingear, fluid, snack and mobile phone.
- Services: Foxford (10km)
Larganmore LoopFoxford Mayo - Ireland West
A-B. From the trailhead follow the purple (and yellow) arrows downhill for about 300m to reach a 3-way junction. This is the point from where the loop ‘proper’ begins - you will be returning to this point from the left later. For now - continue downhill along the roadway. (Note: The yellow arrows are for the long-distance Foxford Way - you will be overlapping on this route for much of this loop.) After another 500m you reach a junction where you turn left and travel along a laneway through the townland of Roosky. At a T-junction, turn left onto the grassy roadway and enjoy the trip through the old tree-lined grassy laneway. Joining a ‘main’ road turn left and, almost immediately, left again. After 100m take note as the Foxford Way turns right - but you continue straight. B-C. After 100m the Foxford Way turns right - but you continue straight ahead. You are now in the townland of Bohernahallagh. Enjoy your journey past a series of pleasant farming homesteads, and turn left at a junction after 600m. Two quick right bends takes you onto a ‘straight stretch’ - after 700m arrive at a 3-way junction where you have the chance to take a slight detour (100m) to visit a Holy Well and Graveyard. The loop continues straight. C-D. Continue to follow the purple arrows as the loop ascends along a minor roadway for almost 2km where the Foxford Way joins again from your right. After another 1km watch for a waymarker on your left which directs you over a stile and onto a ‘green’ mountain path. D-A. Now you tackle the most challenging section of the loop as it ascends to a height of 270m - but the views behind and in front of you when you cross the summit are rewards indeed. Descend to join a gravel roadway and eventually reach the junction in Glanduff mentioned in A above. This time turn right (uphill) and enjoy the last 300m back to the trailhead.