Things to see or do
- Directions: The M1 is the motorway connecting the cities of Dublin and Belfast. Leave the M1 at Junction 18 – and join the R173 in the direction of Ballymascanlan and Carlingford. After 15km watch as the R173 turns (signposted Carlingford) – a further 3km takes you to the village. The Tourist Office is in the main car park on your left.
- OS Map: OS Sheet 79, W268 903
- Distance: 14km / 3hr30min – 4hrs
- Terrain: Minor roads, laneways, hillside tracks
- Ascent: 270m / 350m
- Grade: Hard
- Trailhead: Tourist Office Carpark, Carlingford, Co Louth
- Minimum Gear: Hiking boots, raingear, snack, fluid and mobile phone
- Services: Carlingford
Barnavave LoopCarlingford Louth - Ireland East
A-B. From the car park turn left and follow the red (and green and blue) arrows along the road to a T-junction where you turn left. The green and blue arrows are for the shorter Commons Loop and Barnavave Loop. Entering the village ‘square’ turn right and ascend to the main junction where you proceed staright on to the right of Savages Victuallers. Continue to follow the red, green and blue arrows (and the yellow arrows which are for the long-distance Tain Way) as the loop takes you to the top of River Road. The green loop goes straight ahead here - but you turn right onto a sandy roadway. B-C. Follow the red, blue and yellow arrows along the roadway past gates and into forestry. The loop travels through the forestry for more than 1km before reaching a forestry track (on the left) where both loops turn left and leave the Tain Way. Now you ascend gently to reach the edge of forestry and a 20m climb takes you to a stile over a wire fence. Cross the stile, turn left, and follow the wire fence for 1km to reach the end of the forestry. Veer right here. C-D. Continue to follow the red and blue arrows for 300m to reach a bend in a grassy roadway where you rejoin the Tain Way. The red loop turns right here - but you veer left and downhill. Follow the grassy roadway for 500m to reach a wooden gate - pass through it and follow the arrows to the left. The loop now sweeps downhill and right and, after 500m, joins a surfaced roadway. Here you rejoin the Barnavave Loop and turn left and downhill. D-A. The loop takes you down to the Parish Church on the outskirts of the village, and then turns left and back to the village square. It’s only 100m from there to the trailhead. Dogs are not permitted on farmland.
ContactTelephone+353 (0)42 937 3033
Address: Tourist Informayion Office, Carlingford, Co Louth