Things to see or do
- Directions: 14.5km from Roonagh Pier, Louisburgh, Co. Mayo and 19.3 km from Cleggan Pier, Co. Galway.
- Access: Sailings from Roonagh Quay, Louisburgh, Co. Mayo Clare Island Ferry Co. Ltd. Daily, year round 96 + 12 passengers (2 boats) Tel: +353 (0)98 25212 / 25265 Tel: +353 (0)86 8515003 <a href="http://www.clareislandferry.com" target="_blank">www.clareislandferry.com</a> <br> Inishturk Ferries Daily from June to end September. 14 passengers Tel: +353(0)98 45541 +353(0)86 2029670 Sailings from Cleggan Pier, Co. Galway Inishturk Ferries (above) Sail on request only
- Highlights: Traditional weekend (June); sailing regatta (July).
- Population: Over 70.
- Size: Approx 5 km long and 2.5 km wide.
- Activities: Hill-walking; scuba-diving; angling; boat trips; painting, bird watching, traditional music and dance.
- When to visit: Visits welcome year round, but May to Sept. the best time, with July and August the busiest time.
- Did you know?: The flora of Inishturk is of international importance with the Spotted Rock Rose, a rare endangered plant, found on the island.
- Accommodation: B&B accommodation (also provides meals to visitors and residents). Pub. Boat hire. Community Centre.
Inishturk IslandMayo - Ireland West
Inishturk, which translates as ‘Island of the Wild Boar’ is a small beautiful island located 14.5km off the west coast of Mayo, between the islands of Inishbofin and Clare. This tranquil Island, sits atop cliffs and steep hills that drop down to the Atlantic. Inishturk is only 5km by 2.5km in size and yet it is rich in archaeological sites, such as the old Napoleonic Signal Tower. Inhabited on and off since 4000 BC, the island's rugged pathways and trails offer hill walkers plenty of opportunities to explore. Exotic deep sea diving and boat trips to the neighbouring islands are only a chat away and can be organised by the boatmen or through the B&Bs. On the eastern side on Inishturk are the secluded Tranaun and Curran beaches, with fantastic clear blue waters, ideal picnic and swimming spots after a hike. Watch the sun go down on what locals claim to be the best views in Europe! For the full island experience, round the day off with a pint of porter and an hour or two of set dancing in the island's lively community centre.
ContactTelephone+353 (0)98 45 778
Address: Inishturk, Co Galway, Republic Of Ireland