Things to see or do
- Directions: Altamont Gardens are locted near Ballon, signposted off the N80 and N81, between Tullow and Bunclody.
- Opening Hours: Summer: Open 7 days per week. Winter: Closed for weekends for December. Subject to change please telephone in advance of visit.
- Facilities: Picnic tables Toilets Car and Coach parking Restricted access for people with disabilities Plants for sale
- Admission prices: Free of charge, except for pre-booked guided tours: €2 (individual).
- Admission Prices: Admission: Free of charge, except for pre-booked guided tours €2. (individual) or €2.00 (group).
Altamont GardensTullow Carlow - Ireland South
This heavenly 16-hectare property combines formal and informal gardens featuring a variety of flora. Visitors will have a wonderful experience at any time of the year, as different plants flourish throughout the spring, summer and autumn, and the trees show off their lovely silhouettes during the winter. The Robinsonian-style gardens are home to native species as well as exotic ones like Swamp Cypress, Red Oak and Giant Redwood. Strolling through the tranquil area, guests will also find a lake, river walk and the Walled Garden. The state took over the operation of the property in 1999, upon the death of its owner and long-time caregiver, Corona North, who frequently travelled in search of plants for the gardens. Guided tours (to be booked in advance) are available for €2 per person, but general admission is free. There is restricted access for visitors with disabilities.
ContactTelephone+353 (0)59 915 9444
Fax:+353 (0)59 915 9510
Address: Tullow, Co Carlow, Republic of Ireland