Things to see or do
- Directions: Located on the N69 Tralee to Limerick route, 27 km. from Tralee and 12 km. from the Shannon Car Ferry.
- Opening Times: May - September Daily: 1.00pm to 4.30 pm Last train departs at 4pm October - April By appointment
- Facilities: Free car park at entrance to the Railway - ideal for cars and coaches.
- Retail Outlet: Memorabilia of the Lartigue Monorailway including posters, photographs, postcards and books available to buy at the ticket office.
- Admission Prices: Adult: €6.00 Senior/Student: €5.00 Child (12 years & under): €3.00 Family (2 adults & 2 children): €14.00
The Lartigue MonorailwayListowel Kerry - Ireland South
Located in Listowel, County Kerry, the Lartigue Monorail offers visitors of all ages the opportunity to experience a unique form of rail travel. The original steam-powered monorail (designed by Frenchman Charles Lartigue) ran for nine miles between Listowel and the seaside resort of Ballybunion. Operating from 1888 to 1924, it carried passengers, livestock and freight along a rail supported on A-shaped trestles. It occupies a special place in railway history as the only monorail of its type to operate successfully on a commercial basis. During its lifetime the original Lartigue Monorail was an object of much interest, curiosity and amusement. Nowadays, your visit includes a short demonstration journey on a full scale diesel powered replica of the original monorail. During the journey you will experience the unique features of the monorail and will observe its ingenious switching system. Before or after your journey, you can visit the Lartigue Museum to watch film of the original Lartigue and see models, displays and memorabilia of the Lartigue and mainline railways. The friendly staff, consisting mainly of volunteers, will be on hand to provide information and answer your questions.
ContactTelephone+353 (0)68 24 393
Address: John B. Keane Road, Listowel, Co Kerry, Republic of Ireland