Things to see or do
- Directions: From Dublin take the N4 west. Exit at Kilcock. Before the village turn left for Trim and after 400m take the first right. Travel 3km, and take the first left for Dunshaughlin. the gardens are uphill on the left.
- Disabled Access: Yes (limited)
- Method of Payment Accepted: Cash and cheque
- Guided Tours Available: Groups only
- Facilities: Facilities for the disabled and limited disabled access. Free car parking, coach parking, imaginative gift shop, plant sales and a picnic area in the playground.
Larchill GardensKilcock Kildare - Ireland East
Larchill is a unique 18th-century ornamental, parkland garden, located 40 minutes from Dublin, near Kilcock, County Kildare. It is open May through July and for special occasions. It also opens for pre-booked tours of at least 20 people. Larchill Arcadian Garden is a ‘Ferme Ornée’, or ornamental farm, and is the only surviving garden of its type in Europe. The Ferme Ornée gardens of the mid-18th century were an expression in landscape gardening of the Romantic movement. Emulating Arcadia, a pastoral paradise was created to reflect man’s harmony with the perfection of nature. As is the case at Larchill, a working farm with decorative buildings (often containing specimen breeds of farm animal) was situated in landscaped parkland ornamented with follies, grottos and statuary. Tree lined avenues, flowing water, lakes, areas of light and shade, and beautiful framed views combined to create an inspirational experience enabling man’s spirit to rejoice at the wonder of nature. Children’s activities include a wooden adventure trail, old fashioned games, pets corner and toddler’s sand pit.
ContactTelephone+353 (0)16 28 7354
Fax:+353 (0)16 28 4580
Address: Kilcock, Co Kildare, Republic of Ireland