Things to see or do
- Directions from Town: Bus: Ulsterbus No. 15 between Belfast and Downpatrick, alight in Saintfield. Car: On A7, 1 mile from Saintfield on road to Downpatrick. Drive time: Belfast 25 minutes.
- Opening times: 1 Feb-11 Apr: 10am-4pm daily 12 Apr-14 Sept: 10am-8pm daily 15 Sept-31 Jan 09: 10-4 Closed 25 & 26 Dec & 1 Jan.
- Prices: Grounds: Adult: £4.80. Child: £2.40. Family: £12.00 Group: £3.50 per person. Group outside normal hours: £5.00.
- Mobile narrative: An enchanting garden enclosed within a demesne landscape. It was laid out from the mid-1860’s...
Rowallane GardenBallynahinch Down - Northern Ireland
An enchanting garden enclosed within a demesne landscape. It was laid out from the mid-1860’s by the Reverend John Moore and afterwards by his nephew, the plantsman and selector Hugh Armytage Moore, who established and developed connections with seedsmen and botanic gardens throughout the world.
Spring: Magnificent display of Rhododendrons, Azaleas, bulbs and herbaceous plants.
Summer: Stunning colour in walled garden (Hypericum, Viburnum, shrub roses);
Primulas, Meconopsis and ferns in Rock Garden Wood; wild flower meadows rich with orchids.
Autumn: Scarlet and gold tree foliage, many with berries attractive to wild birds
• Garden retains natural landscape of surrounding area
• Dazzling variety of rare trees and shrubs from many parts of the world
• Spectacular azaleas and rhododendrons
• Notable natural Rock Garden Wood with Primulas, Meconopsis and shade loving plants
• Walled garden includes National Collection of Penstemons
• Several areas managed as wildflower meadows
• Guided tours by arrangement
Visitor facilities –
Garden: Refreshments: Guided tours: Suitable for picnics: Country walk: Programme of events: Access for visitors with disability: Facilities for families: Learning: Dogs welcome on leads in grounds/garden only.
ContactTelephone+44 (0)28 9751 0131
Address: Rowallane Garden, Rowallane Gdns, Saintfield, Co Down, BT24 7LH