Towns of Louth
Ravensdale —County Louth
Ravensdale village nestles along the southern slopes of Clermont Mountain and bordered on the south by a long valley formed by the Flurry River, the centre of a linen-bleaching district throughout the early part of this century. The townland of Dulargy is possibly the Learga of the Tain Bo Cuailgne while 1.5km further is the gateway entrance to Clermont Park. Various lanes lead off the road up to the mountain side, one of which to Lissachiggel, a large ring fort in the town land of Dulargy, more than a dozen huts were found when excavated in 1940; another known as Cadgers' path leads across the mountain to Omeath called after the herring sellers of Omeath who used to bring their catch this way to Dundalk Market. Ravensdale Forest park belongs to the Fortesque Earl of Clermont whose mansion in the park was burned down during the civil war, only the farm premises remaining. The nearby forests are in the ownership of Coillte. Ravensdale Equestrian and Trekking Centre is also located in the area.