Towns of Kilkenny
Bennettsbridge —County Kilkenny
The village of Bennettsbridge is situated on one of the most delightful stretches of the river Nore, about 6 km from Kilkenny City, on the main road to Thomastown and New Ross. Bennettsbridge owes its name to Saint Bennet and its strategic importance to its position in a major crossing of the river Nore. The first bridge was built on the site in 1285 and it was dedicated to the saint. The present bridge was completed in the mid 18th century. The village is part of the parish of Tullaherin, home to th emonastic site of that name, including an almost intact 9th century round tower.