Towns of Cork
Youghal —County Cork
Youghal is a designated Irish Heritage Town, and one of the few towns in Ireland where the mediaeval town walls still survive. The walled town is located where the great River Blackwater - the largest river in the south of Ireland - meets the sea. The town enjoys a seaside location with 5km of excellent sandy beach.
However this is just one aspect of tourism in this area. Apart from the town walls, Youghal has a most interesting heritage centre and an excellent town trail publication is available, together with local guided tours. Deep Sea Angling is an important visitor activity here as is shore angling and golf. This town may be remembered by some visitors as the location where part of the John Huston/Gregory Peck film 'Moby Dick' was filmed in 1954. Youghal is renowned for its lace and pottery.
The town of Youghal dates from early Christian times and mirrors many facets of Irish History, blending the heritage of centuries with a modern Seaside Holiday Resort. Situated on the South Coast of Ireland, at the mouth of the River Blackwater, it is only 30 miles east of Cork City.
The Town Walls of Youghal date back to the 13th century and are among the best preserved in Ireland. The Clock Gate, built in 1777, to replace the Medieval Trinity Gate, straddles the Main Street, and Tynte's Castle is a 15th century Fortified Tower. It was a jail for a number of years and separated the Base Town (lower classes) from the rest of the town. The remains of The Watergate leading from the quayside to the town are also to be seen. This medieval gate is known locally as Cromwell's Arch as he sailed from here on May 29th 1650. Tyntes Castle was built in the early 17th century and is the only fortified relic of feudalism to be seen in Youghal today. It is called after the man who built it close to the end of the reign of James 1.
Myrtle Grove is the 15th century house and home of Sir Walter Raleigh, and in the South Gable is a window from where the poet Edmund Spencer is reputed to have written part of his poem The Faerie Queen.
The remains of the 14th century Benedictine Abbey - St. John's Priory, The Red House, a fine 18th century Queen Anne Style Town House and the Alms Houses, built in 1610 and still in use, are all situated in the town.
St. Mary's Collegiate Church is one of the oldest churches still in use in Ireland, dating from 1220, and is an example of early Norman church architecture, while the Benedictine Priory has a Gothic Carved Door Arch. This was founded in 1350. The Main Street of Youghal has attractive 19th century shopfronts on the original Medieval Sites.
In 1202 the Geraldine owners of the town built a lighthouse and richly endowed a nunnery, called by chapel of St. Anne under the condition that the nuns should see the light was maintained.
The Heritage Centre Exhibition tells the story of Youghal from early times.
Youghal boasts one of the finest and safest beaches in Ireland, with two E.U. Blue Flags.
Youghal also has a wide variety of sports, clubs and venues. For the sports enthusiast there are a number of options. For the golfer there is an 18 hole Championship course, with visitors welcome all year. There is also an 18 hole Pitch & Putt course. Tennis is available on 4 hard, floodlit courts, with greyhound racing taking place every Tuesday and Friday evening. Horseriding is on offer to visitors, while Ballyvergan Marsh is home to some of the most famous birdwatching sites in Europe.
The angler can choose between deep sea and shore angling. Water sports are available in the form of wind surfing and sailing, with cruiser and dinghy racing each weekend during the season.