Towns of Roscommon
Elphin —County Roscommon
Elphin takes its name from 'Ailfinn' meaning white stone. This refers to a large obelisk, which stood by a well here and is recorded as having fallen down in 1675AD.
Just outside the town and well worth a visit is the recently restored 18th Century Elphin Windmill, built in 1720, and restored in 1996 and is in full working condition - the only one in the West, and the oldest in Ireland. Also there is the Mill Cottage Agricultural Museum - Open All Year (10.00-18.00). Tel: 078-35695 It is situated on Windmill Road north of the town of Elphin - it is signposted.
Within 25kms of here