Towns of Monaghan
Scotshouse —County Monaghan
Scotshouse is a small village which takes its name from William Scots, a Cromwellian soldier, who settled in the area around 1650.
Traces of the 'black pig's dyke' or 'the worm ditch', an early linear earthwork, can still be seen in the area.
This fortification was probably erected as a defensive line to protect the ancient Kingdom of the Ulaidh.