Towns of Cavan
Ballinagh —County Cavan
Ballinagh grew up as a staging post on the Dublin to Sligo coach road at the beginning of the 18th century. In 1803 Captain Fleming, the local landlord, built a stone tower on a nearby hill, which is still called 'Fleming's folly'.
This is easily accessible, and there is a fine view from it over the surrounding countryside.
The name means the mouth of Connall's ford. Conall or Conall Cearnach was a legendary warrior who died at Ballyconnell during a long war between the armies of Connacht and Ulster.