Bagenalstown —County Carlow
Otherwise known as Muine Bheag, Bagenalstown is sited on a pleasant reach of the River Barrow and derives its name from Walter Bagenal, who founded the town in the 18th century. His original concept for the town was based on Versailles, which had its genesis in the palace of Louis XIV, with fine streetscapes and classical buildings. Shortly after he had made an impressive start by building the imposing courthouse modelled on the Parthenon in Athens - which is all that remains today of his grand plan, his efforts became frustrated.
However, the arrival of the railway in 1846 rejuvenated the town, and its fine neo-classical railway station is almost as impressive as the Courthouse. Fine examples of the Carlow Granite fencing are to be seen at the railway bridge on the Goresbridge Road. Nowadays, one of the finest views of the Courthouse may be had on the approach road from Leighlinbridge which includes the spire of St. Andrew's Catholic Church.