Things to see or do
- Directions: From Galway, take the R336 - turn right at Spiddal village crossroads (opposite church) and continue along the road for 5 km (3.5 miles) through open bogland. As the road dips, you will cross over a small bridge and pass two houses 100m apart on your left-hand side. You are now approaching the entrance to Cnoc Suain, also on your left, approx. 50 m from the second house. Look out for the small sign. From Moycullen - turn left at Forge pub, left again at Centra and continue for 8kms (5 miles) until you come to Cnoc Suain sign - approx. 1.6km (1 mile) past the forestry.
- Months:: March to October
- Days/Times:: Wednesday, Friday & Saturday. Departs Galway Coach Station at 10.00, and returns at approx. 13.00
- Residential Programmes:: Gaeilge (Irish/Gaelic), the Natural History of Connemara, Irish Culture and Heritage, Organic gardening and traditional Irish music.
- Self Catering:: Cnoc Suain cottages are available for self catering holidays at certain times of the year. For details, see their website.
Conamara Irish Culture ExperienceSpiddal Galway - Ireland West
Cnoc Suain is a magical sanctuary in the Connemara wilderness – only ½ hour from Galway. This award-winning eco/cultural hill village of thatched traditional stone cottages, dating back to 1691, has been described by The Guardian as “ a place quite unlike any other, where Irish traditions are alive & kicking”. Cnoc Suain has won international awards for its sustainable tourism endeavours, including, • 2010 ‘Global Vision Awards’ Winner - Travel + Leisure Magazine. • The Guardian 2010 Green Travel List. • 2009 World Ethical Travel Award – The Observer Newspaper. An engaging introduction to the rich culture, nature & landscape of Conamara The presentation includes; - Irish music, song & story. Gaelic language & poetry. Learning a céilí dance! - Conamara’s Ancient Bogland: Landscape & Nature, stories of Bog Bodies. - The Thatched Cottage: Customs & Traditions - Irish Soda Bread-making. This unique Irish Cultural Immersion - with guest participation - is lively, educational, entertaining & fun. It is presented in the English language and is suited to ages: 12 to 80+ yrs. An all-weather experience of 100 minutes approx. Pre-booking is required as numbers are limited. Entry by coach or mini-bus only. Independent travellers: The Galway Tour Company provides a coach transfer to Cnoc Suain, from Galway & Dublin, on designated days. To view a short video of the Cultural Experience please go to: www.CnocSuain.com “This is a glimpse into the lives of rural Irish people as it existed for centuries and it is fascinating. I can’t recommend it highly enough” , Dan Regan, Kansas City, US.
ContactTelephone+353 (0)91 55 5703
Fax:+353 (0)91 55 5703
Address: Cnoc Suain, Moycullen Road, Spiddal, Co Galway, Republic Of Ireland